Yes, I’m a fish murderer. Oh goodness, that sounds bad. Perhaps “killer” is more appropriate…after all, “murderer” implies malicious intent, and it was really a complete accident…both times. What’s worse is that they were both McKenzie’s beloved fish. *sigh*
So here’s the scoop: First we had “Hanky” (January 2012-June 2012). He was a lovely purple Betta that McKenzie and I rescued from Wal-Mart…he was
on the verge of death quite pathetic looking, and we nursed him back to health. He loved us and would swim up to us whenever we came in the room. Then came our vacation in June…we completely forgot all about him! McKenzie went to stay with her Nina (grandma) for a week, and poor Hanky was sadly forgotten. We quickly realized our mistake and went to check on him as soon as we got home…here’s the kicker: HE LIVED! He only died after I overfed him and he binged…so my friends, do not feed a starved fish 10 pellets. It kills them. After soothing McKenzie’s many tears, we had a lovely funeral and he was flushed ceremoniously. RIP Hanky.
About a week later we went to Wal-Mart again, and this time we rescued a lovely blue Betta, whom McKenzie aptly named “Blue” (June 2012-January 2013). Now, Blue was not as nice as Hanky…he would hide from us when we’d try to peer in his bowl, but McKenzie loved him all the same. Two weeks ago, when Jon and I went to Mexico, we actually remembered him! We brought him to Nina’s this time, and Nina put him in her large tank with other fish. Blue loved the warm, temperature-regulated water and was very active and uncharacteristically friendly. When we got back, he was fine! His fins were a little bit nibbled by the other fish, but I
googled it did some research, and according to what I read he should’ve healed within a month.
So, after getting back to our house I decided to wash Blue’s bowl because it was filthy. I got the water really hot and scrubbed away (can you guess what happened?!). Now, I’m not sure if my hands were just really hot from washing the bowl, because I triple-checked the water before I put him in…it felt cool to me, I swear! But alas, it was scalding. I poured him in and he swam one tortured, “I’m burning alive!” lap around the bowl and dropped dead. Oh goodness, I felt SO bad. McKenzie was hysterical, because I screamed “No, Blue!!!” and tried to get him out right away…so she figured it out pretty quickly. As with Hanky, we had a lovely funeral for Blue. And we even blew out a candle. RIP Blue.
A couple days later, McKenzie and I went and got our 3rd Betta, “Norman” from PetSmart. McKenzie picked him out all by herself. He’s a pretty, iridescent white (although admittedly, I was trying to urge her towards a beautiful red one, yet she still insisted on Norman). He’s is a super friendly little guy, we really like him a lot. I will make a point of having better luck with him! I also got a new 2 gallon tank for him, with a light and an aerator/filter…it was only $19.99, so I thought that was pretty good. As an added bonus, it also functions as a night-light in McKenzie’s room. Score.
So, I will definitely make Norman last longer than 6 months. I’m hoping that my vicious, fish-killing cycle will be broken with this little guy. Wish me luck! Have you ever had an “oops!” experience with a pet?